Chakras are important energy centres in the body, corresponding to various body parts and different issues or energy patterns in a person’s life. They are important in many meditative practices. When energy gets blocked or negative energy builds up, it can be helpful to use a chakra clearing technique (like the one described below) to rebalance the energies. We all run into problems and negativity in life, so we all need some help with finding balance at times.
Tips for Chakra Clearing
- First, find a calm, quiet and safe place appropriate for meditation.
- Wear comfortable clothing that does not restrict your movement.
- Lay down on your back in a relaxed position, on the floor or a mat.
- Shake your hands thoroughly before and after clearing each chakra so as to not take contaminating energies from one energy center to the next.
- Place one hand three or four inches above the crown chakra at the top of the head. A man should use his right hand. A woman should use her left hand.
- Think of drawing all the negative energies out of this center and releasing everything negative into your hand.
- After you have released all negative energies into your hand and then released them from your hand, envision a spiritual light filling you from above.
Move on to the next chakra, rebalancing each energy center in order, from the top of the head to the base of the spine. The next one is the third eye in the middle of the forehead. Repeat the above technique. Continue on through all the chakras in order: throat, heart, solar plexus, womb or spleen (just below the navel) and end with the root or base chakra at the bottom of the spine. Some people find it helpful to think on the colors that correspond to each center as it is being cleared or problems or tensions in the life area in question. Here is a list of the colors and life areas for each one:
- Crown: Violet. The spirit or higher self.
- Third Eye: Indigo. Psychic abilities and one’s higher consciousness.
- Throat: Blue. Creative ability, speech, communication.
- Heart: Green. Emotion, love and healing.
- Solar Plexus: Yellow. Digestion, goals and personal power. Also self worth.
- Womb or Spleen: Orange. Intimacy, devotion and warmth.
- Base or Root: Red. Sexuality and survival instincts.
For more information on specific physical and life areas covered by each of the chakras, see my in-depth guide to chakra clearing.
Chakra clearing can be done daily or weekly, depending on your level of need. It is a great way to help your energies stay balanced and make sure you get the most out of your meditative practices. Many people find it helps them become more aware of what life areas need attention or which energy centers need the most support, thereby nipping problems in the bud. Chakra clearing can be performed alone or with the help of a trusted friend or guide.
[Image credit: ©iStock.com/humonia]