Most of us suffer from stress at work. Whether it’s an ongoing problem, or an occasional crisis, these quick stress relief techniques can help you to regain a sense of inner peace in the middle of a hectic day.
- Leave the workplace for a few minutes. Removing yourself from your environment for even a few minutes is one of the most powerful things you can do. Make sure you pick a place where you won’t be interrupted by colleagues.
- If it’s the thing that you’re currently working on that’s stressing you out, try switching to another task for a while. Even if it’s an urgent task, doing something else will give you breathing space and you can come back to it later feeling fresher.
- Play some music that moves you. Stop what you’re doing for a few minutes and really listen to the music. When you continue work, you’ll feel refreshed.
- Schedule some time each day to deal with the unexpected. If you’ve already allocated extra time to deal with these things you’ll usually find them easier to handle.
- Take a moment to breathe slowly and deeply. Fill your lungs then exhale completely. Just a few deep breaths will make you feel much calmer.
- Lightly massage your forehead and temples. Use your fingertips to make small circles all over the area, paying particular attention to the area just above your eyebrows. Vary the pressure according to what feels good for each area.
- Try a few simple stretches. Find yourself a quiet spot (the toilets will do if there’s no where else suitable) and spend a few moments stretching out your arms and legs. Relax and shake out your arms and legs when you’re finished.
- Make a relaxing cup of herbal tea. Chamomile is especially good for frazzled nerves. Sip it slowly for the best effect.
- Try visualisation. Think of a place where you have felt relaxed in the past, or imagine a place where you could totally relax – maybe a beach, a peaceful spot in the country, a favourite park or garden, or a quiet building.
Now imagine yourself in that place. What can you see? What can you hear? What can you smell? Is there wind on your face? Grass under your bare feet? Is it warm or cool? Take a few moments to feel yourself relax in this peaceful place, then slowly bring yourself back to the present.
- Plan something rewarding for the end of the day. Knowing that you’ve got something to look forward to can make a big difference.